Sunday, August 17, 2008

Proudly South African


We went walking around New York City this afternoon. We went walking way to far for my liking but it was good getting some very much needed excersize. At some point I have to get back into shape so that I don't make a complete hash of our wedding next year!

So as we walked down at the very most southern point of Manhattan we came across a very small park with a monument in the park. The monument happened to pay homage to the soldiers who went missing and passed away in the Korean War. The monument was pretty moving but what did surprise me was what I found on the southern wall of this monument. As you can see in my picture that I included on the wall of this rememberance was the old South African flag. It was with incredibly mixed feelings with which I explained to Ginger what all the little flags in the middle meant and also when our flag changed from the old flag to the new one. Now let me just begin by saying I'm very proudly South African and I could not be happier with the new flag we have........It is just that for the predominant part of my life I knew only one flag. The old one. I would love for these mixed feelings in me not to exist, but they do. I would love for the fear I have in my heart for my families who live there not to exist, but it does. Life throws many curve balls at us and it is how we deal with them that define us but it still can never prepare you for the duality of loving your heritage and dealing with reality!

2 comments:

JCLL said...

Then I must not be proudly South African, coz I only have eyes for one flag. The one in your picture. The new flag is not my flag and is a joke. It symbolizes nothing, it means nothing and it looks like the side of a smartie box. and thats just my opinion

Christiaan van "Hotspur" said...

See I would agree with you but I was always a little more conservative about voicing opinions:o)
You know we are only ever going to have one flag, but unfortunatley we have no choice in the matter